Thursday, December 11, 2008

Knitting Nutter on the Road

I went to our knit night Holiday party last night. And received some interesting looks. You see, it all started yesterday morning when I realized that I didn't have anything on the needles that was a no-brainer. All of my current projects require attention, and that just doesn't work at a social event where there are things going on other than my knitting. Must be nice to people. So, I needed something I could work on and chat at the same time. So I started casting on a hat to be felted that I've been planning. It's felted right? Covers a multitude of sins. But I had to leave for work. So I continued casting on while driving to work. This is where my friends and fellow knitters turn and look at me in horror.

I'm not sure if it was because driving while knitting is admittedly dangerous or because I couldn't pay enough attention to cast on the proper amount in a non-sloppy way. I have a feeling that it had nothing to do with safety issues.

So driving home tonight in the rain, I concentrated on only driving. Occasionally, I would reach over to the passenger seat and pet the wool for comfort. That doesn't count as a distraction. Everyone knows that yarn calms knitters down. Its like a relaxation reflex. Like a child sucking his thumb. Pet the wool. Finger the alpaca. Other knitters will understand this. Good fibers running through our hands acts like Valium, instantly transporting us into a "happy" state of mind. Trance states.

Really, I'm not alone in this. I'm not nuts. And if I am, well, the yarn doesn't seem to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment