Saturday, December 11, 2010

Holiday Stress

Everyone knows the holidays are stressful. But for knitters, the holidays have a different level of stress. A more intense level.

We still have to get the house ready for the season, but this most likely includes moving and relocating stashes. I've been told that is is rude to leave pillowcases filled with yarn on the guest bed instead of actual pillows when guests are coming. We must make room for a tree, or clear off space for a menorah, thus displacing yarn and roving.

In my case, I live with only a cat, so she doesn't nag me about the fact that I use the main couch to line up current projects. It keeps them in easy reach. I don't have to move far from my nest. But guests and family are coming, and the nest itself must get cleaned and organized. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a filthy, disgusting mess. It is a nest. Where in my spot (the seat that I spend my time while home), I have arm-reach access to various projects, skeins of yarn, roving, spinning wheel, needles, pattern books, accessories and so on and so forth.

So my little comfy corner must also be picked up aside from the regular holiday cleaning. All of this coming to a deadline. Buying and wrapping presents, making cookies and fudge, sing with glee and peace while not killing relatives....And lets not forget the most INTENSE part of the knitting holiday layer: knitted gifts.

Yup, we have all the stress as regular people, but we also have the added stress of knitting gifts. Don't do it you say? This year I wasn't planning too. I have enough on my plate. And then I started getting requests. Little Timmy wants a funky hat again this year. Sally really wants a scarf. Bob saw this hat that Johnny Depp was wearing and had to have it. Cousin Marget saw the Harry Potter movie and wants the same sweater that Hermione wears in it.

All to be done in 2 weeks along with everything else. No one realizing the about of time that it takes to make these things. I Made presents once for everyone. I started in July and barely made the deadline. Yet, well meaning friends and family think that I can whip out a sweater in a weekend. Honey, I'm not that good. Really. I just ripped out the same sock 3 times, should do it again, but have successfully reached the screw it phase. What to do with the requests? I've tried the teach them how to do it method on some. It really doesn't deter them from asking. I haven't got an answer. I'm too stressed out to think about it.

If someone comes up with a solution, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment